As an avid runDisney runner and a long time Universal Orlando fan, I have been not so secretly hoping for a Universal Orlando race series. I started getting my hopes up last year with the inaugural Minions run at Universal Hollywood.
And then it happened. Universal Orlando announced their Epic Character Race 5k & 10k for February 1st and 2nd of 2020.
The races will consist of a 5k on Saturday, February 1st. This race will wind through Universal Studios Florida and hit some of the backlot. The 10k will be on Sunday and will hit both Universal Studios Florida and Islands of Adventure.
While the course maps and characters have not been released yet. It makes my Universal heary giddy to think of the potential run through Diagon Alley and Hogsmeade. Through the Streets of New York and or Hollywood or the crazy curves of Suess Landing.
While the races are currently open to register for Annual Passholders only. Universal Orlando has released Epic Character run Packages that will allow non-passholders early registration access. With a minimum of a three night stay at Universal Orlando resorts you can secure your registration and have all the benefits of staying with Universal. Plus they truly have a price range for every budget.
There are options for both the standard registration and the VIP registrations for both the 5k and the 10k. The VIP registrations jnclude a Post race breakfast, commemorating water bottle and exclusive charcter meet and greets and photo op.
For non-runners Universal Orlando has got you too with the Epic fan registration which includes reserved seating and complimentary snacks to cheer on your favorite runner or just to watch the action.
It looks to be, ahem, an Epic time and you know Inaugural races are always the best. With the race distances being 5k and 10k, you don’t have to be Fast or Furious to take part
I’m going! Who wants to join me? Contact me today to get your Epic Character Race Package quote or for more details.
It’s vacation time! You’re excited for a break but also hesitant to leave what you know. When traveling with food allergies or intolerances, it means more work for you or trusting someone else to cook for you or your child. Nothing is more terrifying than putting your trust in someone else to make your food.
A few of my favorite places to travel are Disney World and Universal Studios in Orlando. Over the last 7 years of having food allergies and celiac disease, I have found ways to make a visit easier. I am not a doctor, but I have found things that work for me.
I always make sure I have prepackaged snacks with me. For me, I like bringing individual peanut butter and graham crackers or protein bars like RX Bars and Larabars. Sunbutter makes an individual serving size also if you have peanut allergies.
Order groceries from an online grocery service such as Instacart, Shipt or Amazon Prime Now. This way you can order products you know are safe for you. It also helps save money by being able to order breakfast food for the room.
If you’re packing a lunch, keep in mind you can bring a soft sided cooler. Ice will need to be in the form of ice packs or baggies filled with ice. No glass containers are allowed.
Pack antibacterial hand wipes. It’s great for when you’re in line and want a snack. It’s also handy for wiping down tables when you eat. Helps get rid of anything left behind on the tables.
Always follow your allergy action plan and bring medicine you require! Bring your Epi Pen if you have one.
If your allergies make it hard, pack some homemade seasoning or individual ketchup packets that are safe for you.
No matter if you choose to pack your own meals or eat out for everything, have an amazing vacation and make memories!
Dining at Universal Studios and Walt Disney Word.
Disney and Universal are both great places to dine at. They help take away the fear of eating out by training their chefs in allergy protocol. The chefs at these theme parks have a great understanding of how to keep you safe! Keep in mind, Universal hotels are good also but do not have Universal trained chefs at the hotels.
To help make your theme park dining experience more enjoyable, here are a few tips and tricks to consider. Each park has their own list because they do things a little different.
Tips for Dining at Universal Resort
1. Email special diets before you go.
2. When ordering, ask to speak with a manager or chef
3. Help the chef by voicing what you are hoping for or what you like to help them come up with a meal.
4. Remember your goal is a safe meal. Have measured expectations. You will hopefully get a delicious & safe meal. Some meals will exceed your expectations & some will fall flat.
5. If something doesn’t look how you and the chef(or manager) discussed, ask them to double check to make sure it’s safe.
6. Even though the chefs are trained well, it is still important to keep your Epi Pen with you!
Tips for dining at Walt Disney World
1. When making reservations, note your allergies on the reservation.
2. If you have more than 4 allergies or allergies out of the top 8, email special diets to let them know. Make sure to download and fill out the form.
3. When you go to the restaurant, make sure to ask to speak with a manager or chef.
4. Help the chef by voicing what you are hoping for or what you like to help them come up with a meal.
5. Remember your goal is a safe meal. Have measured expectations. You will hopefully get a delicious & safe meal. Some meals will exceed your expectations & some will fall flat.
6. If something doesn’t look how you and the chef(or manager) discussed, ask them to double check to make sure it’s safe.
7. Even though the chefs are trained well, it is still important to keep your Epi Pen with you!
Make sure to thank the chef for making a safe meal and enjoy!!